Notifications
Clear all

My thoughts on the Beta  

Page 1 / 2

simpilothr
(@simpilothr)

So I had my first ever flight in it today...and I got to say that you, GKS, made the best job so far! Well done! I'm actually surprised you made it this good!

However, if you want to make it as real as possible...it still needs a lot of improvement. 

I'm comparing this addon to the MiG-21 module in DCS, by the way

A couple of things I noticed is the smart use and placement of the debug controls, you made a nice move there. But the fact that you typed "Yoke" instead of "Stick" isn't really pleasant. A yoke is found on some airliners, it's a control input device that has 2 handles and it's meant to be used with 2 hands. While the stick only has space to use with one hand. It isn't the same. I might be picky, but consider fixing that soon.
The fact that you used a different variant of the Bis cockpit (SAU N, probably the Hungarian) doesn't really bother me though, maybe you really had to design after that variant because of financial reasons or something else. 

Now onto the flight model.
I gotta say, it's ok...but what really pisses me off is that it feels like an aircraft that will never stall, which the MiG isn't! The MiG-21 is meant to be very maneuverable at high speeds and also reach them, but falls like a brick whenever you reach a speed lower than 250 km/h.
The Fishbed can also reach 20 units of AoA fairly easy, but the flight model of the GKS will never reach 20 units of AoA even if you pull hard enough; which leads us to the controls!
The ailerons seem to be sort of responsive, maybe it was just because I didn't have the "Aileron Booster" on which I confidently thought it would be turned on as it is an important switch in the cockpit. But the pitch? The pitch is literally non-existent. You have to yoink the stick in order to pull a bit up. I got to mention the MiG-21 is always really sensitive in all axis.
When it comes to speeds...it speeds up nicely, but what bothers me is that the speed exceeds above the maximum speed of the MiG-21. It just keeps going. Keep in mind I was flying at around 100m above the ground, not at high altitudes, still need to test-fly up there.
Also I forgot to mention...since when can the MiG taxi without brakes? 

And the sounds...I can already tell you've copied the F-16 sound pack and pasted it into this addon, which I hope will be fixed soon and replaced with a proper sound pack of the glorious Tumansky engine. Buuut, the sound of the switches are really nice, well done on that one.

Overall...despite having a fair amount of downsides and it's able to piss off a MiG geek like me, I'm really happy this addon exists.
The inside and out looks really beautiful, obviously with some things out of place like...the "Beta version" watermark all over the aircraft.
But also the flight model really impressed me when it comes to Prepar3D, every MiG I find for Prepar3D is a total shitshow.

I'm very glad I'm a part of this beta team too, and I hope to see improvements in the future!

Kind regards

10 Replies
Al13_x
Admin
(@al13_x)

Thank you for the detailed review.

I have several answers and also several questions to you.

1. Do you testing on P3Dv4.5 is it correct?
We have noticed, that flight dynamic in v5.0 is significantly differ from v4.5 Now we trying to understand what the difference between those versions and fix this.

2. We used one of the russion modifications of MiG-21Bis. We have direct access to real trainer cockpit which was used for training real MiG-21Bis pilots. So, we used this cockpit as prototype for our project.

BTW, do you advise to trsnslate all the original marks and texts in cocpit to english? Now, we have only pop-up tips in english.

3. Regarding flight model evaluation. What references or what experience do you base on?
Most of feedbacks which we have from testers based on its experience in DCS.

In our project we tried to recreate flight dynamic which used in real trainer cockpit. Also, we have real MiG21 pilot which consult us about flight dynamic. Based on this, we would consider that flight dynamic in DCS world too “sensitive” in terms of controls. In reality, MiG-21 has special system which limits deflection of control surfaces in order to prevent high degrees of AoA and Over-Gs. Which makes MiG not such sensitive as we can see in DCS.

Anyway, your feedback is makes a sense and we will try to make flight dynamic more sensitive to controls, especially in pitch channel.

4. As to speeds. We have implemented the maximum achievable speeds which we can see in MiG documentation
M1.2 -1.3 at sea Level and Maximum speed M2.1 at 13000 meters (“Clear wing” configuration)
Please evaluate these speed limits and send us feedback.

5. Taxi without brakes. Yes, we know this, and we made steering nose weel in order to fix issue of compatibility with EZCA2 camera add-on (with this addon it is almost impossible to turn during the taxi)
We will make this optional.

6. Yes, sounds of external model will be finished soon.

Thank you so much for your effort!

1 Reply
simpilothr
(@simpilothr)

@al13_x 

Sorry for the late reply, haven't really been online in a while.

1. Yes, I do run it on v4.5

2. Good to know. As I said, whatever works is good, as long as it's from the real thing which I noticed it is.

About the translation of all the markings to english...IMO as I know the cyrillic alphabet (because russian hehe) it's fun for me to figure out what switch is what according to the markings. But for simplicity to other pilots...you choose.

3. As I said in the application as well, I have around a year of experience in DCS and the MiG-21

Never knew about the special systems that limits deflections, but what I can figure out from videos on the internet...the controls seem to be very sensitive. But I may be wrong, you do you.

4. I'll be testing the speeds right after posting this, I'll let you know with the results ASAP.

5. Got it.

6. Glad to hear that!

You're always welcome! Looking forward to more updates!

simpilothr
(@simpilothr)

Ok, did a short flight annotating the problems...there aren't many, as far as I noticed.

- weird throttle response (takes ages to respond, stays a while on AB/afterburner after throttling down to IDLE)

- temperature/EGT gauge does weird things. Goes down to 0 after reaching certain RPM; around IDLE and 60%, after it slowly rises to around 500-600 when reaching full afterburner and doesn't rise up after switching the "Emergency Afterburner" on.

- fuel consumption is totally wrong, it took me the whole flight (20-30 minutes) to waste around 1000 l on afterburner the whole time.

- can't bring the throttle below AB at high altitudes, I have to right-click the throttle to bring it to IDLE. Also noticed there's a lock as in the real thing but isn't interactive/can't click on it to lift up.

- mach meter is according to the written maximum speeds, but the main speedometer almost reaches Mach 2 at ground level and barely passing Mach 1 at 13000 m

- also noticed an annoying problem, and that is despite turning the battery to OFF (also including the inverters), the warning lights are still on and flashing.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards

2 Replies
Al13_x
Admin
(@al13_x)

@simpilothr

Thank you so much for feedback.

1 weird throttle response  - Confirmed, need to FIX this is definetelly a bug
2 temperature/EGT           - Confirmed - to be fixed

3 fuel consumption           - we will test fuel consumption at our side and update results

4 can't bring the throttle below AB at high altitudes  - same issu as in point 1

- throttle lock - Confirmed, we will make it interactive as well.

5 speedometer  -  I think you confused by this type of gauge. Averall, gauge shows indicated speed in kilometrs per hour.
Number in small window at the top of gauge indicates +1000 km/h (not Mach) So, if you see "1" and arrow on 300 it means 1300 km/h
And of cource on the high altitude, indicated speed decreases. 

Please let us know if that, what you faced on.

6.  warning lights are still on - Can't reproduce this issue at our side. Please let us know when exactelly it happens (on the ground or in flight, engine on or off etc.  or at any conditions)

We have published new tutorial on youtube

Part 1     https://youtu.be/qVwqvduTkAc

Part 2     https://youtu.be/sFqf8lOH4SI

There you can find explanations about autopilot, navigation and weapon system.

When you will have time please test Navigation and weapon systems.

Thank you very much for your help!

simpilothr
(@simpilothr)

@al13_x

Yeah, I said it wrong about the speedometer. It indicates 1 as for 1000km/h

I also got in touch with my buddy who's a MiG-21 pilot in the Croatian Air Force and asked a bit about those "systems" that you mentioned, and I quote from his message:

"There is stabilization and apprehension but they do not limit anything, so to speak."

So I can't really tell what you were trying to say before.

And about the warning lights, I obviously turn off the battery when I'm on the ground once I park and fully shutdown the aircraft, it would be ridiculous to turn it off in midair

I'll test the navigation and weapons systems out ASAP and watch the video as well.

Kind regards.

simpilothr
(@simpilothr)

Ok, did a ferry flight across Croatia using navigation and AP, works fine!

But there had to be some bugs I have to mention.

- when pressing "Cold & Dark" on ground...it makes some very strange stuff. Right after take-off, when I pulled the gear handle UP, the indicator stayed green meaning the gear was the whole time DOWN (I checked outside and they were indeed down). Of course, I had to do an emergency landing and start the flight again in the original state it was before, with the engines and all systems up and running. Also, the brakes were non-existent. The only braking power I had were the drag chute and parking brake...not good.

- also noticed a strange thing about the Radar switch, it's supposed to be down when turned off, right? But here...is switched up and turned off. Please correct that.

-another thing I also have to mention, the drag chute method you used. The drag chute is the only thing that's supposed to slow you down, right? Then why do I hear the engine that never was capable to reverse thrust...actually reverses thrust? Please change that ASAP

- couple of minor things as well; when selecting the aircraft when choosing the scenario before jumping into the sim, the "Description" section seem to be really empty. Adding a couple of sentences about the capabilities of the aircraft doesn't hurt. I could add them myself, but you said clearly I can't change anything about the addon, so I'll respect that. Same thing goes for "Performance", but it looks like something has messed up. It isn't really a big problem, but I don't want a product this good to be ruined by a little mistake like that.

Also, I watched the tutorials...and the only things I didn't like were the dub of the guy's voice and the facecam. I think it's just unnecessary work, and personally I prefer to hear the person's voice while reading the subtitle and trying to sort of translate everything in my head. Overall, it explains everything needed, as it says.

Kind regards

simpilothr
(@simpilothr)

Well this was unexpected...
I was doing a night flight, and while landing I noticed the landing lights weren't illuminating the ground...which lead me to check the lights outside and...well...saw that.

Please fix this...

If you haven't noticed, I'm using a Croatian Air Force livery, but the lighting shadows from the lights give the reflection of a Russian livery

Page 1 / 2
Share: